NH to Alaska

Northway, AK to Anchorage

Anchorage to Tok, AK

Tok, AK to Brookings, OR

Home to New Hampshire

Sunday, June 27, 2010

June 26th




Since you won’t be reading this until June 27th I thought I’d remember Adam by saying Happy Birthday! The sign above was seen all across Ontario, Canada. I thought it was ironic considering we are honoring his memory by going on this trip. Did you know that the Alaskan flower is the forget-me-not.

THE DETAILS:

THE WEATHER: We have had an unusually gloomy, cloudy, drizzly day here. The temps stayed in the 60’s all day.

THE DISTANCE: ½ mile!!

Okay, well, it wasn’t exactly an action packed day. Because we were having to move campsites in the middle of the day our morning was rather slow. I drove the RV for the first time on this trip…. A ½ mile to the next campground! That’s all Gary will trust me with it. He drove the scooter over. The site here is much more like RV city and is much closer to the road but it does have a great internet connection. I spent the rest of the day working on bills and Gary went to the Montana river to see what he could catch. He’s been told that the king’s are running but another guy said the fishing hasn’t been real good this year. It’s hard to know. There’s a guide service here that will take him out to a good spot on the river and leave him there for the day and pick him up later …. all for $55.00. Not bad considering going on a boat for 4 hours at another place will cost him $160.00. That’s why he decided to try his luck on his own today. It’s now 10 pm and he’s still not back. He did try to call a little while ago and all I heard was “I’m alive” before the connection went bad. I am also posting those pictures that for some reason didn’t post last night.


DAN: I can’t believe how much information you’re finding about this trip on line. The info about the 2 campgrounds was absolutely correct. We are very close to the train tracks and yes, their whistle can be very loud, but fortunately, for me, I grew up in Acton where I would hear the train whistle in the distance at night in my bed and I thought it was the coolest sound. So now it doesn’t bother me, actually, I love to hear it.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Adam! (and anniversary for us)... remember when we had to trick Adam into thinking his birthday was the next day, so he wouldn't feel left out on our wedding day?

    I was considering setting up a link list for each camp ground you stayed at since the beginning, but discovered that some of the towns you stopped in (expecially across Canada) have multiple sites. I would have to know the names of each one to do it (just in case you have some extra time on your hands).

    ReplyDelete
  2. "another guy said the fishing hasn’t been real good this year."

    You know, every year since I left New Hampshire I've asked my mom how the fall colors were, and every year she responds just like that guy: "not real good this year." Yet if she'd spend a fall in South Dakota, she might change her tune about what "real good" means.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that encouragement Geoff. Interesting perspective coming from a guy from SD! We're not giving up yet.

    ReplyDelete