NH to Alaska

Northway, AK to Anchorage

Anchorage to Tok, AK

Tok, AK to Brookings, OR

Home to New Hampshire

Sunday, July 11, 2010

July 10 & 11




THE DETAILS

THE WEATHER: It continues to be cool and cloudy. We didn’t see the sun yesterday (the 10th) at all, and today we started out in sun but it has quickly clouded over and windy. It returned to mostly sunny skies by the time the afternoon hit which was a nice change.

THE DISTANCE: 0


So as we continue to stay in Soldotna waiting for the “big run” of salmon, yesterday we spent the day taking care of Saturday chores…. Cleaning, laundry, etc. I met Norma in the laundry room and she and I talked about the scene here by the riverside. Another woman joined the conversation as they told me they do this trek every year (Norma, every other year). Their husbands catch fish and the wives begin the arduous task of processing all that fish. Some smoke their salmon, other’s freeze it, but these two ladies can it. The campground is just about full now with huge rigs pulling in the last few days. Our little 28 footer is lost amongst these literal buses. They pull in and set up for the month. They set up their canning equipment out in a screened in porch area with tables and chairs to make it comfortable. Three women were leisurely walking around the campground this morning with their coffee gabbing away. Probably catching up on where each other have been over the past year. I have a feeling once the salmon come into the river there will be no more time for talking and they’ll be busy with their husband’s catch. Of course a lot of them fish themselves also. Norma said the run will be here within the week. I’m sure she is speaking from intuition rather than knowledge…. but I believe her!

In watching these people arrive I am shocked by the age and agility (or the lack thereof) of these fisherman. I think if they got a 20 pound catch on their line it would be them pulled out into the river rather than the fish being reeled in. They are probably in their 70’s & 80’s and look fragile. Gary was working under the RV yesterday repairing a clamp that came loose from the rough roads we’ve traveled and an elderly man to our right came over and asked, “hey kiddo is everything okay?” We both laughed out loud when he told me that. Gary said, “Do you know how long it’s been since I’ve been called a “kiddo”?!” Too funny.

So here we sit on this Sunday, waiting, anticipating, and learning how to fish these rivers. You are absolutely right Dan, there is a whole different way of fishing up here that Gary has been frustrated in learning but hopefully will know by the time the fish arrive. As much experience as he has it has been a challenge. As I type Kiddo is on the river …. learning!

It’s now 3 pm here in Alaska and I just want you all to know, GARY HAS CAUGHT HIS FIRST SALMON! Mark your calendars everyone…. 7-11, male, sockeye red, 26 inches long and a 16 inch girth. I guess he learned quick…. It’s all down hill from here! It was, BTW, a legal hookup! Fish and Game police have been paroling the boardwalk today (a sure sign that the run has begun). Norma & the other laundry gal told of horror stories of F&G guys fining people, impounding their RV’s and they even told me of one guy who got jail time… of course that’s because he chose to argue with the police
Mark: Gary wanted me to tell you that he now has his 10 pound “cracker” fish!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome catch!! You should have that one mounted, like your first dollar bill... congrats, Gary (I mean 'Kiddo')

    I took 2 of the maps off of the blog to help it load faster. I'll put them back when you start moving again out of Alaska...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dan, but please don't encourage Gary to put any more fish on the wall... we have no more wall space for that. Fish have already replaced the wedding & family pictures.

    I know people have enjoyed looking at the maps but I think that's a good idea. I think most people have seen that by now anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the picture and exclaimed, "Oh good!" AVI's wife

    ReplyDelete