NH to Alaska

Northway, AK to Anchorage

Anchorage to Tok, AK

Tok, AK to Brookings, OR

Home to New Hampshire

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

July 20th





So today didn’t go quite as we planned. The toilet had a problem with the water not stopping so Gary had to take it apart. He spent MANY hours on it until he was frustrated and decided we needed a part. I called around and found a guy who had the part in his hand…. Soooo…. We are moving on to Homer a little earlier than we expected. Homer is a place I’ve been very much looking forward to seeing. I’ve read and seen pictures and looked at the map and I think it looks like a really cool place. As we drove south, the clouds got thicker and the ceiling of fog dropped down so low we really couldn’t see anything on the scenic drive down to Homer! SOOOO disappointing! There was one point that it cleared a bit and I was able to get a couple of shots across Cook Inlet but for the most part it was pretty socked in. I was particularly interested in seeing the other 2 volcanoes in the “Pacific Ring of Fire” but I don’t think they were visible in the picture I took.
Homer Spit is another interesting area that I look forward to investigating. It is a 4.3 mile arm of gravel that juts out into the Kachemak Bay. During the 1964 earthquake the Spit sank 4 to 6 feet and required several buildings to be moved to higher ground. There are many shops and restaurants along the 4 mile road and it is a major boat dock for incoming fishing boats and even cruise ships because it has a deep water dock. The historic Salty Dawg is one establishment that I am looking forward to visiting. “Ted”, one of the fishermen on the Kenai River told us we HAD to go and at least have a beer there.
So here we are sitting in Homer Alaska, the most southern point of our journey,at the 'Oceanview RV Park', waiting for the clouds to break. Yes, we did pick up the part we needed and “Mr. Fix-it” fixed it. We’re good to go!

PS: Zoe, don't underestimate Dan's creative abilities to extend the alphabet. He did it once... he'll do it again. NH via NC??? Hmmmmm. I think we'll have to make reservations for the fall.

5 comments:

  1. Click on this link to get info about your current RV Park.

    I also put a link about the "Homer Spit" in the link list on the right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also added buttons at the bottom of each post to allow your followers to "share" it on email, facebook, etc. It will be their choice if they want to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homer sounds great, hope the sky clears for a better view. Really glad to know "Mr. Fix-it" took care of the potty problemo. Is there anything he can't fix? Seriously, we have enough odd jobs that need to be taken care of at our house, you guys could stay at the Elmore Inn for a month or two or ten. Sounds like a plan to me. Happy Travels :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot believe Gary did not have a spare toilet stowed away somewhere. Or at least a gasket. Or whatever that part was. Will wonders never cease.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can believe that Gary spent hours on the toilet. That's what happens when you visit other places far away from home and eat strange food. Bolivia...just to name one.☺
    It is so awesome to see the photos and hear about your exploits. I spent the last week cutting my winter supply of firewood and hauling it home in your trailer..Thank you very much. I think you'll like the view now
    that I've thinned your forest.(JK, JK) It was so nice to hear from Gary last weekend. I miss that guy. OK, so carry on with whatever you were doing before I interrupted.
    Fishing......

    ReplyDelete