NH to Alaska

Northway, AK to Anchorage

Anchorage to Tok, AK

Tok, AK to Brookings, OR

Home to New Hampshire

Monday, August 2, 2010

August 2nd

Inception; The beginning of something. But do you remember the beginning of a dream? HA! Yes, before we left Anchorage we treated ourselves to a great movie and some popcorn. It felt SO weird to be sitting in a movie theatre after being on the road for 2 months. Especially that movie. When it ended I looked at Gary and asked, “so, are you going to walk out onto the streets of Manchester and find out that Alaska was all a dream? or will we still be in Alaska and need to wake up?” FYI: We are still dreaming in Alaska!

We continued on the Glenn Highway out of Anchorage towards Palmer. This is new territory and oh! Is it pretty. Not as dramatic as we’ve seen on the Kenai Peninsula, but the winding roads and wooded terrain reminds me of Virginia. It’s a lot more remote though. We have electric only for hookups tonight which is all we really need.

Dan asked that I share a conversation that I had with Gary from the RV park in Soldotna. This guy is such a car salesman type and he’s lived in that town for over 50 years so knows a lot about the area. When we looked at that property on the bluffs, that I told you about a few weeks ago, I asked Gary what he thought of it. After explaining a lot about living in the town which I didn’t really need to know, he said, “You have to do your bluff research before you buy bluff property”. “Bluff research“, I asked? Well, the wind, rain, snow, spring melt off and rough seas eat away at the bluff….. So after 20 years or so, you may not have as much property as you started with. The erosion factor is serious! Wow! I had never thought of that. I informed him there were other houses on this road that sat on the same bluff so wouldn’t that indicate safety? He explained that houses get picked up off their foundations all the time and have to be moved back away from the bluff. Good piece of information to know. We won’t be buying any bluffs property any time soon.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Debbie!
    I know you don't want to leave, but it is August, not July.... I've been enjoyng all your posts - you are turning into a fabulous writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment and the correction. I was really hoping that no one would notice and we could stay for an extra month but I guess that's not going to work! :)

    ReplyDelete