NH to Alaska

Northway, AK to Anchorage

Anchorage to Tok, AK

Tok, AK to Brookings, OR

Home to New Hampshire

Friday, June 11, 2010

June 10th



THE DETAILS:

WEATHER:
We woke up under a blanket of clouds and rain showers. As we continued west and north it got brighter but again, there is no real sun…. just brightness through the clouds. We used our heater for the first time yesterday and this morning just to get the 47 degree chill out of the air. The high was only 68 today. By the time we got to our campground we had absolutely beautiful weather, cobalt blue skies and full sun!


DISTANCE:
We left Vermillion, AB around 9:30! We couldn’t walk this morning due to the rain so we got on the road a little earlier. We arrived at Valley View, AB around 5:30. We drove 336 miles today.


Well we’ve definitely pushed through the flatlands and we’re back in bush country. Lots of trees, lots of pines. It reminds us of home. It’s been interesting to see what kind of stores are familiar to us as we go through some of the bigger towns. I see Rexall Drug, Home Depot IGA, Howard Johnson’s, Quality Inn, Best Western, Motel 8, Staples, Lots of Subways, McDonald’s, Arby’s and…. Of course…. Walmart!! The one that both Gary & I laughed at is A & W’s! That brought back memories. If you’re younger than 50 you probably don’t remember them! Gary had to get a picture. Of course there are lots of stores that we don’t recognize but our favorite has become “Husky’s”. They have the best gas prices and lots of room to park.

Those who are familiar with Pittsburg, NH and the famous “moose alley”, well we passed a sign today that informed us that we were in “moose row”!!! Different name…. same warning.

So I was able to get on the internet enough last night to read some of the comments on the blog. Gary & I have decided that you guys are a bunch of blog-junkies!! We are under such pressure to post EVERY night or we get nasty comments!! My brother-in-law (a farmer) said that when he comes in from the fields at the end of the day he’s hungry for….. A blog post! Not dinner, but a new post! There was a joke going around before we left that many of you planned to stow away in our RV and once we were well on our trip you were going to pop out of the compartments to join us. Well, we kinda’ feel like that’s what’s happened! We have 18 “stowaways” that are taking the trip right along with us! We love you guys! And we will continue to post as we can. It is PAINFULLY slow internet.

4 comments:

  1. Hello from Kentucky!!!
    It's me, Heather!! Mom sent me your blog. I have to admit I'm a bit of a blog junkie myself, so I can't wait to read yours for the next few months!! Looking forward to reading all about this trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Guys, It is really lovely to read your exploits and I know you'll be so glad to have a written copy of your adventures for when you are in your rocking chairs. Unlike the others, I won't badger you for more but just encourage you that we are all loving to hear the details and are cheering you on from 94 degree Roanoke, VA today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell Gary I ran off the first map. You droped off the edge.I did catch you on the other map you gave me. Ha Ha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes we are all stow-aways! I tried hiding under the sink, but Dan was there, then I tried the shower, but you know what I found there! So I finally settled on the compartment that holds the wine... I love it here!! A little bumpy though Gary, could you try to drive a little smoother please? I keep getting hit by the wine bottle every time I try to have a little swig!
    Dad just called me to comment that you had made a lot of progress today and were closing in on Alaska fast. So you are right guys... YOU ARE BEING WATCHED!!!

    On to Alaska!! Yahoo!

    Tim

    ReplyDelete