NH to Alaska

Northway, AK to Anchorage

Anchorage to Tok, AK

Tok, AK to Brookings, OR

Home to New Hampshire

Monday, June 7, 2010

June 7th



THE DETAILS:

WEATHER: Absolutely gorgeous… do I need to say any more?? We woke up to sunny skies, a cool breeze off the lake and 62 degrees. It warmed to 78 before we left the campground. We drove through a few showers today but for the most part it was sunny and mild.

DISTANCE: We left Kenora, ON at noon!! Okay Dad, I can hear you from hear, “fool around fool around!” No, we weren’t wasting time we took advantage of the noon check out time (it’s usually 10) and cleaned the “house”! Gary did some minor work on the outside of the RV and I did all the “Saturday chores” on Monday. We’ll be doing grocery shopping and laundry later today. We finally arrived in Portage La Prairie at 6 pm.


The campground that we stayed in last night was right on a lake called “Lake of the Woods”. It is so big that it extends down into Minnesota. When we registered into the campground they told us not to leave any food laying around because they had seen bear tracks on the beach that morning. We fell asleep last night to the beautiful haunting sound of loons calling to each other from across the lake and a young deer walked into our camp this morning while we were cleaning and meandered through to the other side. This is probably the prettiest town we have been through yet. The people are especially friendly.

So Gary feels I missed my calling in life. He says I make an excellent stewardess. When I prepare lunch, snacks or drinks I’m able to keep my balance while he continues to drive. Yes, I have served peanuts, but no pretzels. I actually feel like a stewardess when we go to break down camp. I go through the “cabin” making sure the doors to the upper bins are all securely locked down, I check windows and blinds, etc. before I lower myself into the “cockpit” to also be co-pilot or navigator!

We have finally said good-bye to Ontario and said hello to Manitoba. Not only the Province but also the terrain has changed. We stopped at a fruit stand and the man there spent about 15 minutes with us explaining where we were headed and what to expect. He said, “you’ve been driving through bush country, now you will drive the flatlands where you can watch your dog run for 3 days”!! He was right. We are now west of Winnipeg and Gary says this place makes Kansas look like hill country!

7 comments:

  1. U guys are up to 8.4 mpg? You could almost stay at a hotel for all the $ your saving! Well keep these posts coming, we all feel like we are on the trip with you and its the highlight of our day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree!! I finally had time to sit down and read the blog and you're doing a fantastic job at keeping your audience riveted for the next post! Keep 'em coming Mom! Love and miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, I added a map of your progress. Wish I could add photos, but you need to figure out how to get them onto your computer on your own... if you see an electronics store (radio shack?), stop and ask them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, you can click on each location pin to see the city name

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love hearing about your travels. Brings back such great memories when Denise and I traveled while in and immmediately after serving in the army. There is something very special about waking up in the morning to a crisp, clear and sunny day as you get out of your tent or camper and breath in that cool and fresh air. It is then that you may easily be reminded of the words, "This is the day that the Lord has made, let us be glad and rejoice in it!"

    Love you guys,

    Gerry and Denise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dan, great job with the map. That helps out a lot. Looks like Debbie has figured out how to get those pictures up also. Keep them coming Debbie. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debbie,
    Turn the photos right side up before posting them!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete