NH to Alaska

Northway, AK to Anchorage

Anchorage to Tok, AK

Tok, AK to Brookings, OR

Home to New Hampshire

Saturday, June 5, 2010

June 4th

THE DETAILS:

WEATHER: Once again we woke up to beautiful weather, 51 degrees and climbed to a comfortable 74. As we drove west the clouds thickened and it began to rain. There is nothing more beautiful than the thick forest covered in rain. It smells of pine.


DISTANCE: We left Sudbury, ON at 10 am and arrived in Wawa, ON at 7:30. 318 miles in 9 ½ hours. We made a lot of stops today, groceries, Walmart, Home Depot, gas, a tourist trap where Gary bought a beautiful wooden bowl. Our 6 hour trip took us 3 hours longer.


Okay, I think we have established our “rhythm”! I get up at 6 am and put on the coffee and begin my devotions. At 7:30 I go out for a 30 minute walk. By the time I get back Gary is up and doing his devotions. I then start cleaning up, making the bed, washing dishes, etc. When Gary is coherent enough to speak we talk about what the Lord is speaking to us, pray, etc. and then he begins his break down process. While he’s busy putting away electrical cords and hoses, I exercise for a ½ hour with weights and then get dressed. I have to say, due to the fact that Bruno resides in his “den” otherwise known as the shower stall… I get ready in the morning with a bear in the background of my mirror. I’m not sure if this is preparing me for things to come or what but it is pretty funny.

Sue, you would be loving this trip along the Canadian highway, it is a Tim Horton’s haven. Every town seems to have at least a Tim Horton’s and …. Of course…. A McDonalds! Kim, just thought you’d like to know, the lilac’s are JUST coming out up here…. We should have had the wedding in Canada!

The other day when we were window shopping in Mattawa we got to talking to a store clerk. We told her of our plans to go to Alaska and she was excited for us and said, “I hear that is the BEST holiday”… I was going to correct her and tell her we weren’t on a “holiday”… we were on a vacation! But I remembered being in Europe where they called vacations, holidays. So since we are in Canada we are officially on holiday!

Today was an absolute beautiful drive along Lake Superior. Gary & I agree that it is the prettiest of all the great lakes. If I ever figure out how to post a picture on this blog you will see a little of what we have seen today.

1 comment:

  1. Michael and I had always thought a trip to Alaska is something we'd like to do! In our dreams, we would fly and then take a cruise. I think your method brings a much more interesting adventure! Let's see . . . in 4 more years, Michael will be 60 - it's never too early to plan and your blog will serve as a road map!

    ReplyDelete